Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Blueberry Pie with a Cornmeal Crust #12

For the most part, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf in my life and follow recipes, but not really with this guy. I hyped up the lemon flavor in this pie. I'm sorry I didn't really follow it, but to be totally honest, I'm not that sorry. I loved this pie. I think it turned out very nicely, and in fact, if...no WHEN I make it again, I'm not going to change a thing (I mean, I'm not going to change the extra lemon).

I happen to think that lemons and blueberries are perfectly suited for one another so I couldn't resist adding extra lemon juice and a little bit of lemon peel. So sue me.

One of my favorite parts of the pie was the cornmeal crust (and I promise I didn't change a thing). It had a nice smell while it was cooking--something like sweet blueberry cornbread--and more importantly I really liked the taste. I think the cornmeal added a little more substance to the pie crust, but it was still flaky. Really, it was delicious. But enough about the crust, I really liked the whole thing. What more can I say? Make it!

Blueberry Pie with a Cornmeal Crust

Crust:

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/4 cup cornmeal (preferably stone-ground, medium grind)

3 tablespoons sugar

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks total) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/4 cup vegetable shortening, cold, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

4 tablespoons (or more) ice water


Filling:

5 cups fresh blueberries (about 27 ounces)

3/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

2 tablespoons flour

2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Zest from one lemon

Milk (for brushing)

1 1/2 tablespoons sugar


For crust:
Blend flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt in processor. Cut butter and shortening into mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add 4 tablespoons ice water; blend just until moist clumps begin to form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball. Divide dough in half; flatten each half into disk. Wrap disks separately in plastic and chill at least 1 hour.


For filling:
Combine blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and zest in large bowl; toss to blend. Let stand at room temperature until juices begin to form, about 30 minutes.


Preheat oven to 400°F. Place rimmed baking sheet in bottom of oven. Roll out 1 dough disk to 12-inch round. Line 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish with dough and gently press dough into pie dish, pressing any cracks together as needed to seal and leaving dough overhang. Spoon filling into pie crust.

Roll out second dough disk and carefully and evenly invert dough atop filling. Trim overhang of both crusts to 1 inch. Fold overhang under and press to seal. Crimp edges decoratively. Cut five 2-inch-long slits in top crust of pie to allow steam to escape during baking (or you can make a lattice crust like I did). Lightly brush top crust (not edges) with milk. Sprinkle with sugar.


Bake pie 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling thickly through slits, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool pie completely on rack. Cut into wedges and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment