Friday, September 10, 2010

Plum Blackberry Pie #33

I liked this pie.

I mean, I really liked this one.

And I'm not just saying that because my peach blueberry pie was such a tragedy (blerg). This pie had a great tang, wonderful texture, delicious topping, and I loved the deep purple juices it produced. With plums and blackberries peaking right about now, I would definitely recommend that you try this pie.

When I was at the farmers market, there were a plethora of plums and I didn't know which to use...so I used them all. How's that for ingenious? Or maybe it was ingeneous...either way I feel like you can't go too wrong mixing several varities of one fruit for any pie. Also, there wasn't one particular variety that stood out in the so I don't think that it would make too much of a difference which plums you use as long as they are firm and tart.

This is only my second crumble crust, but I think they're easy and delicious--though I tend to like anything with a sugary/oaty crumble on top. Tell me, how can you go wrong with equal parts of sugar, butter, and oats? And then put fruit underneath? It's impossible. I dare you to find a bad crumble--on second thought, please don't. I wouldn't want anything to do with a bad crumble.

Any way, I know that asthetically they're not as beautiful, but the taste always wins me over and even with Ryan being a skeptic (because he generally doesn't like crumble topped goods), he really liked it too. And with that recommendation, I think it has the potential to win just about everyone over.
Plum Blackberry Pie
(Adapted from epicurious.com)


Pastry:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/3 cup plus 1 to 4 tablespoons ice water

Filling:
1 3/4 pound ripe plums, pitted and quartered
3/4 pound blackberries (2 cups)
1  cup sugar
3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided

Topping
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 stick cold, unsalted butter, cut into bits
DIRECTIONS:
Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Blend in butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal with some roughly pea-size butter lumps. Drizzle 1/3 cup ice water over mixture and gently stir with a fork until incorporated.

Squeeze a small handful of dough:

If it doesn't hold together, add more ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring (or pulsing) until just incorporated, then test again. Do not overwork dough, or pastry will be tough.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 portions. With heel of your hand, smear each portion once or twice in a forward motion to help distribute fat. Gather dough together, with a pastry scraper if you have one, and press into a ball. Divide in half and form into 2 disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Toss plums and blackberries with 1 cup sugar, tapioca, cornstarch, zest, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.

Roll out dough into a 13-inch round on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin. Fit into pie plate. Trim excess dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Fold overhang under and press against rim of pie plate, then crimp decoratively. Chill while making streusel.

Stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture forms small clumps.

Mound filling in shell. Crumble streusel evenly over filling.

Bake pie until streusel is golden and filling is bubbling, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Cool completely, 3 to 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment